More than 60 Williston students with a love for ancient cultures learned and competed at Classics Day at the Mount Holyoke College campus on January 19.
Wildcats emerged triumphant—like mighty Caesar, you might say—in a variety of contests. Alongside nearly four hundred students from schools such as MacDuffie, Berkshire Country Day, Academy Hill, Lenox, and Amherst, Williston students attended Latin language and culture workshops, explored ancient art and coinage at the MHC art museum, and excelled in a range of contests, winning a total of 8 prizes:
- 1st Place, Drawing—Julia Farnham
- 1st Place, Model—Jason Albanese
- 1st Place, Mosaic—Eric Albanese
- 1st Place, Advanced Prose Recitation—Ethan Bradway
- 1st Place, Mythology Certamen (trivia contest)—Team of Bruton Strange, Annika von Schoeler-Ames, Grace Robes-Kenworthy, Orion Minton
- 1st Place, Military (art)—Dane Moliterno
- 2nd Place, Novice Poetry Recitation—Jenna Perry
- 2nd Place, Latin II Certamen—Team of Graham Allardyce, Anne-Valerie Clitus, Sam Haddad, Nathan Shatz
Venimus, vidimus, vicimus! That’s Latin for “We came, we saw, we conquered!” See photos here.